When it comes to mold growth, most homeowners look for signs and symptoms everywhere within the walls of their house. However, one area they sometimes overlook is the health of the pets that live in the home.
Mold is a major allergen that affects many people and causes an array of symptoms, including runny nose, post-nasal drip, sneezing, itchiness, puffy eyes, watery eyes, coughing, shortness of breath, throat irritation and more. But what about our pets – are they really susceptible to the effects of mold? The answer is absolutely. Actually, because our pets are smaller and their respiratory systems are generally more sensitive than humans, cats, dogs and other small domestic animals are actually more at risk for suffering from symptoms due to mold growth. Unfortunately, this could mean that little Sparky or Miss Kitty is indeed suffering the consequences of mold growth in your home.
Mold grows in areas with high humidity. Homes that have been flooded or have suffered other major water damage are particularly susceptible. The spores of black mold contain different kinds of mycotoxins that are dangerous to the health of both people and animals. Think your home might be a possible nesting ground for mold? Sometimes it can be difficult to tell right away, but one sign could be the overall health of your pet.
If your pet shows sign of the following and you believe mold might be a factor, take them to see a vet as soon as possible. And of course, call Peake Restoration to schedule a free visual mold inspection.
Peake Restoration is Maryland’s leader in residential and commercial mold remediation and cleaning. Using a proven 27-year-old technique to eliminate mold, combined with the numerous mold tests we perform and our removal and remediation services, we surpass our industry's standards. Peake Restoration is known for using only the best nontoxic, environmentally safe, EPA- and USDA-approved products.